Today's interview is a special treat---our first video interview!
I had a great chat with Morgan Luce, who started VT Farm and Garden Exchange in April 2012, and is closing in on 200 members already. I had to know her secrets, so I asked if she'd be up for an interview. She graciously agreed, and here's the result.
It's about 18 minutes long, but packed with good ideas for anyone who's launching a new community.
Key community-building takeaways from our conversation:
- Think outside the box when you're building up your membership. Morgan used Craigslist, flyers, emails to her listserv groups, and good old fashioned face-to-face in her recruiting efforts.
- Consider having business cards made up for your community. That way you can spread the word, and even offer cards to your community members to help them tell their friends as well.
- Cross-promote your community via your other social platforms, like Facebook and Twitter; use your community as the hub and feed into it from the other networks.
- Encourage your members to contribute content with guest blog posts, calendar events, and photos. This makes them feel like a true part of the community.
- If you have a great brainstorm, and a passion to build something, go for it!
Thank you so much for sharing your ideas with us, Morgan!
Addendum---Morgan told me this morning that she just hit the 200 member mark! That's exactly one month from when she hit 100. Congratulations!