There are lots of folks out there who can wax poetic about theories and strategies, so I though it might be helpful to share the nitty gritty of my daily social media routine.
I look at social media as another outlet for helping customers and others, building connections, and learning/listening to what the online community is buzzing about. Every time we make another social contact, it's another ripple in the pond. Also, I LOVE meeting new people. Yes, I'm in the right business.
So, here's my warts-and-all daily social media routine, which starts at 6am. I'm offering it in hopes that it can help others who might be looking for a concrete starting point for their daily social marketing routine.
- Drink Coffee - I could do social media without caffeine, but it might not be pretty.
- Read Email - I don't like RSS, so all of my blog subscriptions come to my in box. Every morning, I try to read all of my favorite blogs. I also have Google alerts sent to my email for all of our important keywords.
- Blog Comment - when I have something to contribute, I try to comment on at least a couple of blogs each day. I feel it's important to give-back to bloggers who provide great content...and commenting is one way to reward them. Sometimes my comments are triggered by a Google keyword alert; fun to find new blogs with this mechanism.
- Check Hootsuite - I use Hootsuite to manage our corporate and my personal Twitter accounts. I have alerts set up for keywords, so that I can respond to folks talking about relevant things. I then check for mentions, RTs, and direct messages (we DO NOT have any automated messages in our Twitter accounts). I also cruise through the new followers for all accounts and do followbacks; I also try to send a personal reply to each new follower.
- Check LinkedIn - I like to check the Q&A first, to see if there are any questions I can answer, and then take a look at discussions in all of the groups I belong to.
- Circle back to LiveCloud - I like to look at new members' profiles, befriend new people, and respond to any questions.
- If I'm feeling frisky, I'll use Google's "updates" search to find anyone talking about online community or social platforms and do some engagement. That's another fun way to meet new people!
- Feed the kids breakfast
That's about it for the morning routine. Throughout the day, I get alerts and pings from all of these sources so that I can stay on top of any critical issues. You'll notice a glaring lack of Facebook in my routine---that's because I made the decision that the only way to control my Facebook profile was to remove it. But that's a blog for another day..
So here's your challenge: send me a Tweet and see if I respond! You can use either @socialstrata or @rhogroupee.